Liam Payne strips down his new album, dealing with mental health, fatherhood and talks new girlfriend in sit down with MTV News
Liam on his favorite teenage love songs and crying to Usher’s 8701 album: “Many different girls broke my heart. Hashtag f*ck you. [laughs]”
· “The perfect music go-to’s for me were always Justin Timberlake’s Justified, and 8701 by Usher.”
· “I definitely spent a lot of time crying to that 8701 album over many different girls who broke my heart. Hashtag f*ck you [laughs].”
Liam opening up about his relationship with new girlfriend Maya Henry, following split from Cheryl: “living such an exposed life made dating really hard”
· “For the longest time, living such an exposed life made dating really hard… I’m kind of at the place in my life now where I just realize it’s not worth sacrificing my happiness just because somebody might see something. I don’t have anything to hide, so I’m really happy right now and things are good.”
· “Now that I’ve found someone who’s genuinely my best friend–as well as my partner–it’s massively changed things for me… She’s just so relaxed about everything and someone who’s completely got your back with everything, is just the wildest thing. I don’t think I’ve ever really experienced that before in someone, so that’s quite a wonder to watch actually.”
· “Being a dad massively changes you, and at first it is the scariest thing in the world. Because you’re like I’ve got to take care of this tiny thing and it’s really cute and there’s a lot of responsibility involved.
· I was so young when I became a dad as well, so, you know it’s a learning curve the whole time. You think you’re going to have all the answers right off the bat and you don’t because you’re still figuring yourself out. You’re not only taking care of yourself and learning about yourself now, you’re trying to learn this little thing that needs you. I think it gives you the opportunity to be a better person, and you’d be stupid not to take that chance.
Liam on being bullied as a child and using boxing as an outlet: “I used to lock myself in my bedroom”
· “I used to lock myself in my bedroom just to stay on my own. But the last thing you want to do is to isolate yourself. Make sure you’re always around people, and you’re receiving that love and attention you need.”